Monday, September 10, 2007

The First Day

... Was good!

Kinda quirky place. It's a small office in a converted mid-terrace house on a hill. It's kinda wonky and shambly, hehe, which gives it a good character. We're on the first floor and there's another company on the ground floor (or if you're an American reading this: we're on the second floor and there's another company on the first floor). It's a very laid back place. I got there at 8:50 and the front door was closed and locked. At 9am, I got let in by the guy who I guess owns the downstairs office. I went upstairs and sat on a chair in the hallway until my boss showed up at 9:05, hehe. He apologised for his immense lack of organisation, gave me the smaller of the only two office rooms (aside from the teeny kitchen and bathroom complete with bath tub) to set up my PC in. Yes, I had to set up my PC before I could start work - and by that, I mean take the brand new PC out of the box and get it set up with Vista, MS Office and Sage Line 50 accounting. The boss left me to it as he had to go to a meeting at 9:30, and said he'd be back for 10 - meanwhile his manager arrived and was in the other room at his desk.

I got the PC set up and running by about 10, then twiddled my thumbs until the boss came back finally at around 10:30. He got me a few software CD's and I was installing stuff until around 11:30. Then, he showed me briefly around Sage and what I'd be doing, and I went on lunch at 12:15. The rest of the day (1:15pm - 5pm) was spent transferring the bank statement of April 2005 onto Sage and reconciling it. o.O

So yeah, it was good.

Meanwhile, I've been working on some photos that I took ages ago but hadn't formatted from RAW or uploaded... anywhoo, here's a few.

DSCF7455_1.jpg

DSCF7708_1.jpg

DSCF7706_1.jpg

DSCF7671_1.jpg

7 comments:

MABrock1980 said...

That's certainly an...interesting first day.

Love the reflection pics :D

Dee Jay said...

Great pics!

I hate "first" days.

Lady Visine said...

Sounds like a nice way to start the job, setting up a brand spankin' new pc. :D Beautiful pix - bet they are just as gorgeous in color, too.

Ogre Jehosephatt said...

Heh heh. Thanks for the translation!

So they have unopened computers laying around? ...and copies of vista? Or do they have some kinda business version where they get a license for a group of computers?

Welsh Pixie said...

Neither, really - he bought a single PC pre-loaded with Vista specifically for me to help out on, hehe. Aside from this one, the only other PC's in the office are two laptops - the owner (my boss) 's laptop, and his manager's laptop.

cherreh said...

I kinda laughed - like, in my head - when I read the bit where you had to wait for him to come back and were twiddling your thumbs... I imagined it like a film. You're sitting lazily on the chair with a pen in your mouth, and your hands drooping down the sides of the office chair. You're swinging from side to side a little, and you're looking around blankly at the brickwork and wondering who the hell chose the artwork that is on the walls...

Welsh Pixie said...

Hehehe. Something like that... I was swinging in my office chair (which is leather, ooOOoo) looking out of the window. The view stretches across the river Ness to the Cathedral, and upstream towards Loch Ness, just far enough that I can see the mountains around the Loch but not the Loch itself. So I was kinda people watching and scenery admiring... and yes, I was looking at the rather nice painting on the wall wondering who painted it and where it depicts!